Thursday, January 8, 2015

First Impression: Maybelline Lash Sensational

Hey internet!  So yesterday I tried out two new and exciting products from the drugstore.  I have plans to continue playing with one of them, but for the other, I thought I would do my first ever first impression on.  That product (as you could tell by my clever title) is Maybelline's newest mascara, the Lash Sensational.  I'm a huge mascara fan and love Maybelline, so when this released I was beyond excited to give this one a shot.  Enough with the small talk, let's get down to business with the basics.

Maybelline Lash Sensational in Blackest Black


First of all, isn't the packaging beautiful?  I'm not usually one to gush over packaging but I love how pretty and polished the black looks up against the light metallic pink.  I picked this up at Target where it retails for $6.99.  However, I snagged a coupon from the Sunday paper (I think it was in RedPlum) for $3 off this specific mascara, so I ended up paying $3.99- talk about a good deal!  Now let's take a closer look at the brush on this~


This brush curves outward on the bottom with longer bristles while the top side curves inward with shorter bristles.  Both sides fan out toward the handle and taper toward the tip of the brush. The shape of this brush is very similar to Loreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara.  The formula is pretty wet, but slightly thinner than the Loreal.  Also, the tube does a much better job at cleaning off the brush than the Butterfly, which helps with clumping and allows for more steady building. Now for the demo, here is my left eye with my naked lashes (curled).  I included a picture of my eye open to show the length of the lashes, and then closed to show volume.




Naturally, I have decently long lashes that aren't super thick, but aren't sparse either. As you can see, they are a light, dirty blonde color.  Usually mascara alone isn't enough to darken them at the roots, but that isn't a concern of mine.  My lashes tend to work better with semi-wet, but not super thin formulas.  Maybelline The Falsies and Covergirl Clump Crusher are good examples of the kind of formula I'm trying to describe.



Here are what my lashes looked like after one coat.  My left eye is on top, my right eye is on the bottom.  The first coat really built up a lot of length for me-which is what I typically look for in a mascara.  Please excuse the mascara polka dots on my eyelids, I get kinda messy with it. Oops...




The next set of pictures are my eyes after two coats.  With mascara, I usually just keep building until I get the desired effect.  For some mascaras that is two coats, for others it's five.  Honestly, with more natural makeup like I did on this day, I will probably only end up using one coat.  The second coat for me added a lot more volume that I don't usually go for, but didn't add any more length.  In this next set, my right eye is on top and my left eye is on the bottom.  For whatever reason I forgot to take a picture of my right eye closed, but I think the left one does a good job showing how built up the volume got-



This mascara wore fabulously throughout the day.  There was absolutely no flaking (keep in mind, I never wear mascara on my lower lashes, just my preference).  The biggest plus was that it held my curl all day, and the length was still there, too.  Here is a zoomed-out view I took at the end of the day (after about 9 hours of wear).  You'll probably note that my left lashes look shorter than the right ones, this is just how my lashes are naturally and has nothing to do with the mascara-

 

Overall, I am really excited and happy that I picked this up and tried it.  I've always been a big fan of Maybelline mascaras in general, and this one definitely falls into that legacy.  The real test will be how long this makes my lashes look when I'm wearing winged eyeliner...I have a little more experimenting to do.  I will note that even though I didn't get the waterproof formula, it was a pain to take off. My Garnier Cleansing Oil usually melts effortlessly through any mascara I've tried it with, but I had to really work to get all of this off, which isn't very satisfying :(  However, I think this one is worth it.

I still have to play around with it more to get a final consensus, but my first impression is that I love it!  I am confident enough that I could recommend this to someone with the same lash type as mine, and who has the same preferences as I do.  Yay Maybelline for coming out with another great mascara!

Well, it's time for me to be productive.  In other words, I'm going to continue sitting on the couch watching Apple T.V.  I hope you found this useful/interesting/enjoyable.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

<3
Elise







No comments:

Post a Comment

Overnight eye masks?!? | VIICode Skincare Review

Hey everyone, how are you? I know it’s been awhile since I’ve written a post on here, but today I’m re-kickstarting (that’s a word, right?)...